International Student Boarding Program
Oaks Christian School welcomes international students. We issue I-20s for students seeking an enrichment experience or diploma-seeking students (F-1). Recent international students have attended Oaks Christian from Australia, Korea, Italy, Mexico, China, Ghana, Germany, Russia, Portugal and Brazil.
International Boarding Philosophy
- Oaks Christian Homestay is a unique feature of our boarding program. We believe that international students living with American families creates a much better educational environment and provides more social and emotional support than an impersonal boarding dorm.
- Host families are carefully chosen by Oaks Christian School after a background and reference check and personal interviews.
- Orientation and ongoing support is provided for both host families and international students.
Step #2 - While completing the online application, please send the following to email@example.com by February 1, 2017:
- An official copy of student's grades/ transcripts from past two years of academics, including English translation and school seal
- A scanned copy of student's passport (and visa or green card, if applicable)
- Documentation of iTEP SLATE exam: sign up here
- A scan of a recent photo of applicant
- A scan of an official copy of bank statement with sufficient funds for tuition and fees
- A scan of international immunization record in English to our school nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step #3 - Once we receive the application and all documents, schedule a Skype video interview for student and parents. Video interview will be about 90 minutes. We greet and meet student and parents for the first 15 minutes. If parents don’t speak English, they are welcome to have an interpreter with them during the Skype video interview. We will have an interpreter with us on our side of the Skype video interview that can help with translation too. Then we will conduct about a 45 minute interview with the student alone, followed by a 30 minute spontaneous writing assignment that the student will complete.
Step #4 - Following the interview, a decision will be made regarding admission to Oaks Christian School. The decision is made based on the student application, Skype interview, availability of host families, and the fit of the student with the available host families. The acceptance decision will be emailed to the student and parents.
Step #5 - If the student is accepted, the I-20 will be sent to the family by mail after the full tuition and fees are paid and the enrollment contract is submitted by May 1, 2017.
Q. Does OCS issue I-20s?
Q. How many international students are at OCS?
A. 5% of our student body is international (50 out of 1000 students).
Q. Does OCS accept middle school international applicants?
A. Yes. However, middle school students must live with a parent or relative.
Q. How much does it cost for an international student to attend OCS?
A. For 2017-2018, it will cost about $53,000 USD, which includes room and board, medical insurance and much more.
Q. Can I apply for the Spring Semester?
A. No. We only accept applications to start in the fall semester of each school year.
Q. Does OCS have an ESL program?
A. No. A student's English proficiency has to be high enough to be successful in our mainstream college preparatory classes.
Q. Do I have to take the TOEFL?
A. No, but you can submit a TOEFL score as extra documentation of your English proficiency. We use the SLATE test for admissions documentation.
Q. Can I take the SLATE test in my country?
A. Yes. Sign up for the SLATE here: iTEP SLATE
Q. What is the minimum score on the SLATE exam to be accepted?
A. We don’t have a minimum score for acceptance. We do however expect the proficiency to be high enough to be successful in our mainstream college preparatory classes.
Q. Does OCS offer SAT/ACT prep classes?
A. Yes. You can find out more about our tutoring program and test taking center here: OCS Learning Center
Q. What is the average SAT or ACT score for OCS students?
A. You can find out all that information here on our OCS School Profile
Q. Do I need to find my own homestay?
A. No. The tuition and fees include a homestay with our own OCS families.
Q. Can I live with my auntie and uncle or close family friend who lives near OCS?
Q. How many international students are in one homestay home?
A. We place one or two students in each home depending on the students and the home.
Q. Will I have a private room in my homestay?
A. Some international students have their own room, some share a room with another international student or their American host sibling.
Q. How are host families chosen?
A. Our host families are carefully screened and background checked. Most of our host parents either work here at OCS or have their own children here at OCS.
Q. Will I live with the same host family for all the years I attend OCS?
A. Some students do live with the same host family for multiple years and others do not and live with different families every year. There is just a one-year placement commitment for both the host parents and the student.
Q. Can I play sports at OCS?
A. Yes, but the regulations state that you have to “sit out” for the first 30 days of the sports season your first year.
Tuition and Fees: Approximately $53,000
Tuition and Fees include: Room and board, health insurance, enrollment and orientation fees, yearbook, special fieldtrips, special dinners and excursions, college counseling, college application assistance, tutoring center, international processing services and tuition insurance.
Estimated Additional Costs Purchased From Online Vendors:
- Uniforms $200 - $400
- Textbooks $350 - $750
- Return to home country during Christmas break
- Must bring $1000 Visa card for incidental expenses (non-uniform clothing; shoes; weekend entertainment; instrumental music rental; extra art, dance, athletic lessons, etc.)