Oaks Christian seeks to promote health at school by supporting wellness, good nutrition, and regular physical activity as vital components of the total learning environment. Recently, we have reviewed our school lunch program and have taken further steps toward this goal by improving the quality and nutrition of our cafe offerings. Oaks Christian wants to empower students with the education and the environment that supports a healthy, productive life.
- Improved health can be achieved with good tasting and nutritious food
- Approximately 50% to 60% of a student's calories are consumed at school
- By 2020, 50% of the U.S. population is predicted to have diabetes
- Promoting healthy eating in school can also lead to better academic and athletic performance
- School lunch programs can have a strong impact on what students learn to eat and in their overall health and fitness
- Message matches what students are learning in health class
Paulette Lambert R.D., CDE, has been instrumental in giving presentations and conducting focus groups with Food Systems (our cafe food provider), parents, students, coaches, and faculty to educate them on the need for change and to get their valuable input.
For more information, please review the video clip. A copy of Ms. Lambert's PowerPoint presentation is also attached for your review.