FILM AND TELEVISION
Objectives for Pathway
- To prepare students for entry into the film industry and the nation's top film schools
- To produce ethical artists mentored from a Biblical worldview
- To provide practicum/internships opportunities with Hollywood production studios
- To broaden students' insights and their compassion by thoughtfully considering the importance of story, human behavior and its consequences
- To build resources for students to be prepared for the entertainment business
The Acting Concentration
The Acting for the Camera concentration will provide opportunities for serious acting students to deepen their acting technique by developing the skills needed for on-camera performance. Class work will focus on the acting process, not just the result. Class work will culminate with work-in-progress presentations and recorded projects in collaboration with the film production class.
Scene study will continue with an emphasis on script analysis requiring the creation of actor’s written notes, character study, and scored script.
Through this record and playback class the student will study the fundamentals of focus, preparation, presence, and the importance of making strong choices. Students will learn and present monologues and scenes, with research and preparation required as homework. They will write analyses of the characters and evaluations of their work. In addition, students will study the ‘business of acting’ including self-recording audition methods and cold-reading techniques on camera.
The Production Concentration
The foundation of film-making begins with story. Through hands-on workshops and partnerships with industry professionals, film students will dive deep into the art of storytelling, including structure and character development.
Through the production of their own unique stories, students will discover their voice through the creation of multiple shorts and music videos, to longer projects ranging from documentaries to feature length films. Students will submit to festivals around the country and experience the Sundance Film Festival for inspiration from the best independent filmmakers in the world.
- Intro to Digital Recording
- Theatre l
- Acting for the Camera l
- Arts and Christian Ethics
- Specialty Class (Film l, Choir, Dance, Improv)
- Acting for the Camera ll
- Marketing and Branding
- Professional Development (Auditioning for Actors, Reel)
- Acting for the Camera ll and lll
- Entrepreneurship and Business
- Film Foundations
- Film Appreciation
- Feature Film
- Documentary for Social Change